Online Permitting System GuidelinesFor your convenience, effective March 29, 2017, the Town of Portsmouth has adopted online permitting for the submittal of applications for building permits, plumbing permits, moving/demolition permits, mechanical permits, sign permits, soil erosion permits and electrical permits.
If you do not own a computer or if you need assistance using a computer, both are available at Town Hall. A computer station terminal is located at the Town Hall. Assistance can be obtained in the office or by contacting the Building Inspector’s office during normal business hours. Office hours are Monday – Wednesday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Applicants can mail a check payable to: Town of Portsmouth along with a copy of the application to the attention of the Building Inspection Department or walk into the office. Any payments without a copy of your application will not be accepted.
- Before applying for a permit, you should review the Building Inspection Department web page to see what documentation is required. Please scan and attach supporting documentation with your completed application. If you do not have the ability to scan and upload please send by mail or in person with a copy of your application any documentation without a copy of your application will not be accepted. Provide as much information as you can on the form as incomplete applications may be rejected.
Filling Out a Building Permit Application
(after you have logged onto the online permitting website):
- Select the location for the permit by entering any characters of column text in the white boxes under House # and/or Street to narrow your search.
- Choose the address by clicking on its row.
- Select the appropriate permit application from the menu on the right by clicking on the New icon.
- Fill out the application fields to completion.
- Once you have filled out all text fields click Submit.
- This will prompt you to sign the application. Sign by holding down the right button on your mouse and signing. Check the check box below, type in your name and click Save.
- This will ask you if you want to submit. If yes, click Ok.
- Now add any required attachment by clicking Add Attachments and then click the Square blue icon top right and follow the instructions.
- Please mail or hand deliver a check when emailed the payment due amount payable to the Town of Portsmouth.
Adding Attachments to Your Permit Application or Checking Status:
If you need to add attachments after closing a submitted application or want to check your status, go to My Documents. This will show you a list of all the applications you have ever submitted along with the status. To add additional attachments, click on the permit row once to highlight the permit and then click the Square white icon above on the right and follow the instructions.